pre-empting?
i'm really excited for the launch of the 1st heights reg issue for this year. pretty pretty cover and, of course, i'm ecstatic about being published for the very time. but for my friends who can't get a hold of an issue, here it is:
Weaving
T’boli women are known to take their dreams and spin thread
to knot and dye. You are neither from the South nor able to
bear daughters to whom to teach your skills. So you take my
hand and instruct me: Watch. (Listen.)
You sit at the loom to begin a new section in your tapestry:
orange sun against yesterday’s black skies. I stay close, eyes
following each move of your fingers reaching in, pulling out
but I do not notice how the skeins begin to tangle until we are
both faced with the confusion of too many knots and colors
competing against each other. You stop and, sighing,
stand up to leave.
I entwine your fingers with mine, loop and knot: but you
must finish the weaving. I show you what I have learned to do
with a pair of scissors and persistent tugs.
I will sit with you until the final knot is in place.
for coach, "thank you" is not enough


wow! me likey.
in retrospect, i loved that cultural heritage class! i have more yearning to be a filipino and actually know what it's about.